[Dovecot] Vpopmail auth with vchkpw

Rick Romero rick at havokmon.com
Fri Jan 12 13:26:14 UTC 2007

Hey Guys,

I'm using vpopmail, and was told here that I need to use the vchkpw
passwd module to authenticate AND get my lastauth data updated.

It works like a charm, but I've come across another minor issue.

vchkpw sets the 'connection-type' based on the variable TCPLOCALPORT
If that's not set, it defaults to pop.  What this does in my environment
is cause someone who is denied POP access to also not be able to use
IMAP (or webmail) because that variable is not set.

Is it possible to have Dovecot set that variable, based on the port the
user connected to, prior to calling vchkpw?

Or can I Set that in here somehow?

passdb checkpassword {
        args = /usr/local/vpopmail/bin/vchkpw
    }