[Dovecot] imap over ssh won't work

Taco Witte info at tacowitte.nl
Fri Jan 12 18:50:39 UTC 2007

Hi,

Using version 1.0.rc15 I'm trying to let Evolution connect with IMAP
over SSH. When run from the command line, this is what I get:

        ssh host dovecot --exec-mail imap
        * BAD [ALERT] imap binary must not be started from inetd, use
        imap-login instead.

        ssh host MAIL=/root/Maildir/ /usr/local/libexec/dovecot/imap
        * BAD [ALERT] imap binary must not be started from inetd, use
        imap-login instead.

When I run the same commands directly on "host", I do get a PREAUTH
prompt (Logged in as root) and when I look around I find exactly the
same syntaxis. Does anybody have a clue why it doesn't work?

Thanks in advance and kind regards,
Taco