[Dovecot] Bounce vs. Defer

Jeff Mitchell jeff at emailgoeshere.com
Mon Jan 15 15:28:39 UTC 2007

Hello--

I've noticed that with when using deliver, if there is a
misconfiguration in my dovecot configuration file, a permissions problem
on the maildir, etc., deliver will bounce the message.  I'm using
Postfix, and at some point used Maildrop, and I know that maildrop (and
I believe also Postfix's virtual transport) instead defer the message if
there is some kind of fixable problem (like permissions).  Then, when
the problem is solved, you can flush the queue.

Would it be possible to add a defer option to deliver?  It makes it
difficult to try out new options or different configurations because if
you have fairly regular incoming mail, the last thing you want is a ten
minute period where 20 messages get bounced...

Thanks,
Jeff