[Dovecot] FreeBSD, Postfix, Cyrus SASL, Dovecot IMAP, SquirrelMail, Active Directory

Phil Anslemo uxphreak at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 15 19:43:53 UTC 2007

Here's an update to my configuration.  I'm able to use Cyrus SASL to enable SMTP AUTH in PostFix, validate user's mail addresses in Active Directory, and store mail in maildir on FreeBSD.  I am currently able to authenticate AD users with Dovecot and LDAP, but I'm getting the following error in the log:

Error: IMAP(user at domain): Ambiguous mail location setting, don't know what to do with it: user at domain (try prefixing it with mbox: or maildir:)
Error: IMAP(user at doman): Failed to create storage data: user at domain.
Error: child xxxxx (imap) returned error 89

I double-checked dovecot.conf, and the mail_location setting is "mail_location = maildir:/usr/data/vmail/%u".

I'm not sure what could be happening, but I'm thinking this is the last thing I need to get my configuration to work.

Your assistance is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

uxphreak