[Dovecot] stale locks

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Fri Jan 19 20:36:28 UTC 2007

On Fri, 2007-01-19 at 21:08 +0100, Thomas Hummel wrote:
> I regulary see stale dotlocks files (either from dovecot (29 bytes,
> hold the pid of the process) or procmail (1 byte) and processes
> stucked in Disk Wait state.

What exactly does "processes stuck in disk wait" state mean? "D" in ps
output? If you ktrace the process, does it show you what syscall it's
waiting on?

I'm thinking maybe your problem is that your nfs.lockd breaks itself, or
something else in the NFS setup breaks itself..

> The only way I can get ridd of them is to
>
> 	restart nfslocking
> 	remove the .lock file
> 	change the inode of the mailbox file

By this you mean get rid of the processes? Dovecot itself gives up
trying to lock files after 5 minutes. If it doesn't, then the problem is
in the kernel.