[Dovecot] Bug tracking system

Curtis Maloney cmaloney at cardgate.net
Sun Jan 21 22:38:23 UTC 2007

Timo Sirainen wrote:
> 3) Probably most importantly: If people start reporing bugs in there,
> I'm pretty much the only person who will ever read them and reply to
> them. Currently when people report bugs in here, it's quite useful to
> have other people read them too. They may already know the bug and say
> they've reported it, they may have an idea what's causing it, they may
> know a workaround, etc. All in all, moving things to BTS would most
> likely cause my life to be harder and it might be more difficult to get
> some bugs fixed.

And here is, really, the big motivation that makes a lot of sense.  I've seen
other BTS integrate with email (some even fairly successfully, I'm told), but
starting from the PoV that it's a mailing list and extending it... great idea.

And looking at some of the other replies, I suspect they missed this point.
Keeping it on the list means people don't _need_ a special client to be involved.

> So, any volunteers to implement the web part, if I implement the
> ANNOTATE extension? :) It would actually even be possible to implement
> multiple frontends. All I need to do is give you access (read-only, or
> read-write for some) to the bug tracking mailbox, and you can use
> whatever frontend you wish, even a non-web one!

Count me in!  This could be the excuse^H^H^H^H^H^H project I've been looking for
to get some time in with PyGlade.

Of course, someone handy with writing Thunderbird extensions could certainly
make themselves popular here...

--
Curtis Maloney
cmaloney at cardgate.net