[Dovecot] Current state of mulit-server NFS setups

Justin McAleer justin at fehuq.com
Tue Jan 23 14:29:01 UTC 2007

Hi list,

I've been perusing the list archives, but I couldn't find a recent,
definitive answer to what I'd like to know. I'm looking to set up a new
batch of servers to migrate ~160,000 accounts, spread across several
domains, onto (from CommuniGate). Last year I worked with the earlier
beta/RC versions of Dovecot, so I'm generally familiar with the setup
required. However, a lot of development has been done since I was last
dealing with it.

So, what I'd like to end up with is a load balanced group of servers
providing pop and imap access with quota support using an NFS
filesystem. We have a new Netapp device (forget the actual model) that
can do SAN/iSCSI/NFS. We tried using various clustered filesystems
previously, but the performance/stability issues were a nightmare, so
I've fallen back to NFS (or perhaps SAN if users can't hit any server in
the group).

So, what does my dovecot setup need to be? I've seen some people say
they disable indexing in the LDA, but allow pop/imap to index. Some say
the attribute cache needs to be disabled, which I'd think would be worse
than just disabling indexes. Some say indexes should be kept on local
disk (dedicated server for users), and others seem to report problems
even when doing so. Is there a general consensus?

I was also wondering if dovecot's sanity checking on the indexes would
allow each server in a balanced group to keep indexes on local disk (so
if the maildir has changed on another server, dovecot rebuilds it). If
so, does that take away all performance gains from having indexes at all?

Thanks for any info you all can provide.