[Dovecot] Benchmarking

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Thu Jan 25 20:36:56 UTC 2007

On Thu, 2007-01-25 at 22:25 +0200, Timo Sirainen wrote:
> Logi Sele Fetc Fet2 Stor Dele Expu Appe Disc
> 1135 1135 1134 1134  577  298  298  378 1134

Oh, and about these numbers. Number of logins (Logi) and number of
appends (Appe) are the most important ones I think. All the numbers mean
number of IMAP commands sent not the number of messages affected. For
example "Expu" means number of EXPUNGE commands sent, not the actual
number of messages expunged.

The benchmark does these commands:

LOGIN user pass
SELECT INBOX
FETCH 1:* (UID FLAGS ENVELOPE BODY)
FETCH one-random-message (BODY[])
STORE random-messageset FLAGS.SILENT (random-flags and
random-keywords-from-5-different)
STORE random-messageset +FLAGS.SILENT \Deleted
EXPUNGE
APPEND new message, unless we're over threshold
 - randomly APPEND more messages
LOGOUT

So the msgs-parameter to imaptest means how many messages it tries to
keep in the mailbox. The msgs=30 works pretty well, but msgs=1000 was
never really reached in the 120 second tests. It was more like 100-150
messages where it was kept. I guess I should try the msgs=1000 with
longer test runs.