[Dovecot] Benchmarking

Thu Jan 25 21:10:15 UTC 2007

Timo Sirainen wrote:
> I wasted too much time today doing this, but they do show a few
> interesting things:

Hi Timo...

Thanks for this info!

A couple of (probably dumb) questions ...

> 3) fsync_disable=yes + mmap_disable=yes almost doubles the
> performance with 1 client, and over quadruples the performance with
> 10 clients. Why fsync_disable=yes + mmap_disable=no doesn't give that
> big of a performance difference? I've no idea. This is anyway such a
> large performance increment that I'll probably go and backport this
> setting to v1.0 too :)

In other words, these will be the new default settings? And I guess you
also now recommend using these settings in existing setups, unless there
is a platform/fs specific reason not to?

> 4) Dovecot's mbox code kicks maildir's ass.

Hmmm... trying to understand the significance of this. I always thought
maildir was better=faster. I can still readily see how maildir is more
reliable (one message getting corrupted means you only lose that one
message), but again, I always thought it was faster too.

> 5) dbox is surprisingly slow. I'll have to find out why. I don't think
> it should be that slow.

:( from what I read about dbox, it looks very promising. Well, since it
is still very new, I guess it isn't surprising. I'm sure you'll figure
out why and soon it'll be kicking mbox's ass.

--

Best regards,

Charles