[Dovecot] Best small server config

- marsepein at gmail.com
Fri Jan 26 03:08:18 UTC 2007

Hi,

Busy with dovecot on a linux server with not very much RAM in it (512
MB max total).

On this server dovecot will only handle about 12 users,
with never more than 3 IMAP webmail users at a time,
and a maximum of 2 POP3 users at a time using it.

I'm going all secure later on, but first I would like your opinion on
what configuration best to use with, say, max 5 users busy at one time,
and have it use as little RAM and CPU as possible.
(Same machine is also running httpd, squirrelmail, php5, postfix,
clamd, clamsmtpd, sshd.)

Here's my  /etc/dovecot.conf  now:
#
protocols = imap pop3
imap_listen = *
pop3_listen = my.servers.ip.address (hidden for this list)
ssl_cert_file = /etc/ssl/certs/imapd.pem
ssl_key_file = /etc/ssl/private/imapd.pem
ssl_parameters_file = /var/run/dovecot/ssl-parameters.dat
ssl_parameters_regenerate = 320
login_dir = /var/run/dovecot-login
login = imap
login = pop3
default_mail_env = maildir:/home/%u/Maildir
mailbox_idle_check_interval = 40
mail_full_filesystem_access = yes
login_user = dovecot

login_process_size = 64