[Dovecot] repeat downloads of message headers in 1.0rc19

Dean Brooks dean at iglou.com
Mon Jan 29 22:41:05 UTC 2007

On Mon, Jan 29, 2007 at 10:35:19PM +0000, Chris Wakelin wrote:

> Jim Garrison wrote:
> > I reported this against rc7 and rc8, and still see it occasionally.
> > (I'm running the rc8 that comes with Fedora 5).
> >
> > It is always associated with this message in dovecot.log:
> >
> > dovecot: Oct 23 19:26:17 Error: POP3(user at domain.tld): mbox sync: UID
> > inserted in the middle of mailbox /var/mail/vhosts/domain.tld/user (12 >
> > 4, seq=2, idx_msgs=5)
> >

> This isn't the same issue, I think. I don't see my problem with rc18,
> and in rc19 there are no errors in the Dovecot log. My suspicion is the
> change in
>
> http://www.dovecot.org/list/dovecot-cvs/2007-January/007505.html
>
> but I've not worked out why yet :) The problem shows up when the INBOX
> is expunged, messages thought to be seen are suddenly unseen again.

For what it's worth, we were seeing random messages going from seen to
unseen in user's inboxes.  It was very annoying and would sometimes
always leave one message unseen no matter what you did, and other times
would revert an entire mailbox back to being unseen.

Turns out that turning off lazy writes fixed the problem.  Apparantely
there is something broken in rc19 that fails to ever properly write
out seen/unseen data when lazy writes are enabled.

--
Dean Brooks
dean at iglou.com