[Dovecot] Need help with "mbox sync" problem

Benjamin Dabelow dabelow at tuxoft.de
Wed Jan 31 14:30:06 UTC 2007

Hi Jim,

Jim Garrison schrieb:
> dovecot: Jan 29 21:19:18 Error: POP3(user1 at mydomain.tld): mbox sync: UID
> inserted in the middle of mailbox /var/mail/vhosts/mydomain.tld/user1
> (5629 > 5423, seq=2, idx_msgs=5)
>
> Once this message starts occurring, dovecot stops deleting retrieved
> messages when the user retrieves mail (with 'delete from server' set).
> The result is that the entire mailbox contents are fetched each
> time, resulting in copious amounts of duplicate messages.
>
> I'm on the rc8 RPM that comes with FC5, but am willing to remove it
> and install a later Dovecot built from source.
>
> 1) Is this a known problem that can be fixed by upgrading?

I think FC 5 ships beta8, not rc8. There have been loads of fixes since
then, so you should probably start by upgrading.

RPMs:
http://atrpms.net/dist/fc5/dovecot/dovecot-1.0-2_40.rc19.fc5.at.i386.rpm.html

> 2) If not, can someone tell me what this message means exactly, and
>    how to gather more information for debugging?
>    The MTA is Postfix.

http://wiki.dovecot.org/FrontPage?action=show&redirect=StartSeite#head-8d40952a271a60d8d053be1068b515278c438c07

Regards

	Benjamin
Benjamin Dabelow                      dabelow at tuxoft.de
Offenburger Str. 29                   tuxoft.de
69126 Heidelberg
Germany