[Dovecot] Automatic Folder Expiry (plugin?)

Troy Engel tengel at fluid.com
Wed Jan 31 23:33:44 UTC 2007

Greetings,

I'm migrating an existing Courier IMAP installation to Dovecot (1.0rc19
right now) on a new server; there's one feature I'm not sure if Dovecot
supports - but it might and I'm missing it, so I'll ask.

In Courier there's an option to expire a folder after a given time
period; ostensibly it's to keep a Trash folder clean, but we use it to
keep the Junk folder (where spam is delivered by Exim) clean.

How can I do this in Dovecot? Here's the chunk from Courier for those
unfamiliar with it (just part of the verbiage):

##NAME: IMAP_EMPTYTRASH:0
#
# The following setting is optional, and causes messages from the given
# folder to be automatically deleted after the given number of days.
# IMAP_EMPTYTRASH is a comma-separated list of folder:days.
#
# Important: the purging is controlled by CTIME, not MTIME ...

So in our case it's set like so:

   IMAP_EMPTYTRASH=Junk:14

Thanks for any help/ideas - I'm not sure if we can live without this
feature, the amount of spam is horrendous and users never clean out that
folder.

-te

--
Troy Engel | Systems Engineer