[Dovecot] Permission errors when creating/reading files in users' mail directories

Bryan K. Wright bryan at ayesha.phys.virginia.edu
Thu Jul 5 18:25:54 EEST 2007

tss at iki.fi said:
>> Jul  5 09:25:49 imap dovecot: IMAP(uid): open() failed with mbox file
>> /var/spool/mail/uid: Permission denied
> Sounds like your userdb is returning wrong uid. Set mail_debug=yes to see what
> Dovecot is really using.

Excellent!  After looking at the uids, I found that my test user had both
an entry in our ldap database and the local /etc/passwd file.  Removing
the spurious /etc/passwd entry (and fixing the local file ownerships)
gets rid of the permission problems.

					Thanks for your help.
					Bryan

Bryan Wright              |"If you take cranberries and stew them like
Physics Department        | applesauce, they taste much more like prunes
University of Virginia    | than rhubarb does."  --  Groucho
Charlottesville, VA  22901|
(434) 924-7218            |         bryan at virginia.edu