[Dovecot] Migrating subscription lists

Stewart Dean sdean at bard.edu
Tue Jul 10 23:11:20 EEST 2007

I thought this would be relatively straightforward....I would create
.subscriptions by doing an ls -1 of ~/mail.
I'm running into some problems.

1) the ~/mail directories haves directories in them for 5% of the
accounts!  AFAIK, our mail sevice has always been UWIMAP with mbox
format INBOXes, and it was my understanding that the mbox format is flat
and NOT hierarchical and thus I'd have thought that ~/mail would be all
folders and wouldn't have a directory with folders in it.  Plus our
users are not, as a rule, power/geek user that would understand even
making subdirs in ~mail, so I don't know how this would have come to pass.

Should this be?  Or am I misunderstanding things?

2) Some people are consciously or  unconsciously using  the UWIMAP
.mailboxlist subscription file as it is meant to be used, namely to
*restrict* the  folders shown.  If/when I generated the Dovecot
.subsbcriptions file by just doing an ls -1 of their mail directory,
they will be surprised to see stuff not previously displayed....that
they may very well not know they'd had.

Murphy must be a terribly overworked deity...you'd think he'd take a
rest now and then from maximizing entropy

--
====
Stewart Dean, Unix System Admin, Henderson Computer Resources