[Dovecot] TLS errors when vodafone connecting to dovecot server.

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Mon Jun 4 03:10:35 EEST 2007

On Thu, 2007-05-31 at 16:58 +0100, Andrew Pounce wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've been trying to setup the vodafone email sync ( provided by visto
> apparently ) and have not been able to do so - I'm getting an error
> message in my mail logs which looks as if there is a problem with
> certificates somewhere.
>
> May 31 16:49:39 imap dovecot: imap-login: SSL_accept() failed:
> error:14094416:SSL routines:SSL3_READ_BYTES:sslv3 alert certificate
> unknown [206.124.112.22]

I guess it means that the client couldn't verify the Certificate
Authority and didn't bother to ask you if you wanted to trust it anyway
(which most clients do nowadays). So you'll probably need to figure out
a way to import your CA cert (or self-signed cert) to the vodafone.

See http://wiki.dovecot.org/SSL/CertificateCreation for more information
about CA certs and self-signed certs and their problems.