[Dovecot] Error: no authentication failed

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Mon Jun 4 03:57:13 EEST 2007

On Tue, 2007-05-29 at 13:13 +0300, gaoqiang.qian at nokia.com wrote:
> Hi,
> I have installed the dovecot on my redhat linux host. But when I log in
> with dovecot/test I got Error: no authentication failed after I got ok
> dovecot ready when I connect to local host. dovecot/test  was set in the
> password.dovecot file. But I do not know how can I use this username and
> password in the configuration file.
> Could anyone give me a hand to let me know how to configurate the
> username and password for login.

Dovecot can be configured in many different ways. You didn't provide
your Dovecot version (hopefully not v0.99.x), RedHat version or your
configuration (dovecot -n if you've v1.0), so I don't know how exactly
it should be configured.

The easiest way to get it configured would be to make sure that you're
using Dovecot v1.0 and follow "A simple Dovecot installation" guide in
wiki.dovecot.org. Especially the
http://wiki.dovecot.org/BasicConfiguration step.