[Dovecot] Sharing nested folders / maildir variations?

SeattleServer.com lists at seattleserver.com
Mon Jun 4 09:10:50 EEST 2007

On 3 Jun, 2007, at 17:03, Timo Sirainen wrote:
> Should be already possible with the development version (wonder what I
> should call it now that I can't call it CVS HEAD anymore ..
> "development", "1.1.UNSTABLE", "hg", ..?):
>
> mail_location = maildir:~/Maildir:LAYOUT=FS

Sweet!

> It doesn't use dots anymore then either.

Do you mean folders don't have to start with a dot?  I started to
propose that too, but thought I'd be asking for too much.

Specifically, there is a bit in the config:

# By default LIST command returns all entries in maildir beginning
with a dot.
# Enabling this option makes Dovecot return only entries which are
directories.
# This is done by stat()ing each entry, so it causes more disk I/O.
# (For systems setting struct dirent->d_type, this check is free and
it's
# done always regardless of this setting)
maildir_stat_dirs = no

So it seems that removing the dot would break that unless cur/tmp/new/
subscriptions/dovecot* started with a dot and folders did not (thus
reversing the usual convention).  It seemed too much to ask for for
too little gain, especially as maildrop wouldn't know how to deliver
to such directories (but maybe it could call deliver).

So what happens if I use the following two together, on a system not
setting struct dirent->d_type?

mail_location = maildir:~/Maildir:LAYOUT=FS
maildir_stat_dirs = no

Since I have no idea what that actually means, is linux one of the
systems that does set struct dirent->d_type (JFS filesystem if it
matters)?

Lastly, any idea how long before this feature can be expected to
reach production?

Cheers,
--
Casey Allen Shobe | mailto:casey at shobe.info | http://casey.shobe.info