[Dovecot] dovecot-shared tries to fchown index+control files but fails

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Mon Jun 4 15:47:13 EEST 2007

On Sun, 2007-06-03 at 23:05 -0400, Adam McDougall wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 04, 2007 at 05:57:49AM +0300, Timo Sirainen wrote:
>
>   On Thu, 2007-05-24 at 18:59 -0400, Adam McDougall wrote:
>   > May 24 18:45:35 hostname dovecot: IMAP(username):
>   > fchown(/home/username/Maildir/dovecot/public/control/org/.mailfolder/dovecot-uidlist) failed:
>   > Operation not permitted
>
>   I'm not sure if you already figured this out, but these calls are used
>   to change the file's group, not its owner.
>
> Why would dovecot-shared affect files outside of the shared directory though?

Well.. Dovecot doesn't know if you want to have the control or index
files shared. If they were shared, you'd want to preserve the group
+mode.

Originally I was planning on removing the whole dovecot-shared file, but
perhaps it needs to be there anyway. Inside it could be some settings
that tell Dovecot how you want to preserve the group/mode. Maybe
something like:

group = xyz # dovecot-shared file's group if not specified
#group = # empty == no change
mode = 0660 # dovecot-shared file's mode if not specified
private_flags = \Seen \Flagged # Default is \Seen
index_group =
index_mode =
control_group =
control_mode =