[Dovecot] UW-IMAP style mbox snarfing from /var/mail/ to ~/mbox

Bernd Kuhls bernd.kuhls at informatik.uni-oldenburg.de
Mon Jun 4 16:37:35 EEST 2007

Timo Sirainen wrote:
> Anyway, updated
> http://dovecot.org/patches/mbox-snarf-plugin.c

Hi,

thanks, this code seems to work with the original Debian package.

It managed to copy the contents of a mbox from /var/mail/$user to
/home/$user/.imap_mail/inbox, well done!

I have yet to conduct more testing as Dovecot+Exim will be handling
100+ users soon. Exims current setup delivers directly to
directory /home/user/.imap_mail, where spam mails can optionally be
delivered into different mbox files. /home is subject to user-based
filesystem quotas, also a policy not to bounce any mail is in place.

My idea is to let Exim deliver everything to /var/mail/$user, where
enough space is present, and let Dovecot snarf the mails to /home,
if quota allows.

Is it possible to snarf more than one mbox from /var/mail to
/home/$user, like this?

/var/mail/$user -> /home/.imap_mail/inbox
/var/mail/$user.spam -> /home/.imap_mail/Spam
/var/mail/$user.virus -> /home/.imap_mail/Virus

Snarfing only one mbox removes the possibility to let Exim move
recognized spam mails not into the inbox.

Since using the snarf plugin I have this additional line in syslog:

Jun  4 15:28:27 bach dovecot: IMAP(kuhls): Timeout leak: 0x808ad10

Anything to worry about?

Greetings, Bernd Kuhls