[Dovecot] multiple dovecot invocations

Stewart Dean sdean at bard.edu
Tue Jun 5 21:57:43 EEST 2007

I need to have multiple invocations of dovecot running, one for
productions and then one or more for test/dev, doing things like trying
different authentication methods, getting quota working, etc.  I knew
how to do this with inetd, but I have been convinced that direct
invocation is preferable, so I need to know how to do multiple
invocations of dovecot.

I had thought that perhaps I could do this:
    dovecot -c /usr/local/etc/dovecot2.conf
where dovecot2.conf has different different listen port parms.  This I
did, and while it does seem to work, I get this error in the syslog:
> Jun  5 14:42:43 mercury mail:err|error dovecot: Socket already exists: /usr/local/var/run/dovecot/dict-server
> Jun  5 14:42:43 mercury mail:crit dovecot: execv(/usr/local/libexec/dovecot/dict) failed: No such file or directo
> ry
> Jun  5 14:42:43 mercury mail:err|error dovecot: child 1437914 (dict) returned error 84 (exec() failed)
How do I correctly run multiple dc instances?

--
====
Stewart Dean, Unix System Admin, Henderson Computer Resources