[Dovecot] Latest MANAGESIEVE patch -- how to start daemon?

Andreas Ntaflos daff at dword.org
Wed Jun 6 16:29:04 EEST 2007

On Wednesday 06 June 2007 10:00:57 Joseba Torre wrote:
> Hi,
>
> first of all: there's a newer version of the patch
>
>http://sinas.rename-it.nl/~sirius/dovecot-1.0.rc28-MANAGESIEVE-v4.diff.gz

Hi and thanks for the reply!

> Second: which were your steps for compilation? (patch, configure,
> make, make install, or what did you between patch and configure?)

I applied the v4 patch, which worked fine, but I had to re-autogenize
the whole project before configure would create the new Makefiles, i.e.
aclocal, libtoolize, autoheader, automake, autoconf.

That was the problem in the first place, managesieve support wouldn't be
compiled at all, so no binaries to run.

> Third: you must tell dovecot that it should use a new protocol,
> managesieve. So, in dovecot.conf you need
>
> protocols = imap imaps pop3 pop3s managesieve
>
> and later
>
> protocol managesieve {
>   listen = *:2000
>   login_executable = /usr/local/libexec/dovecot/managesieve-login
>   mail_executable = /usr/local/libexec/dovecot/managesieve
> }

Thanks for that hint! Now the daemon seems to start fine and listens on
port 2000.

The problem I am having now is that it won't authenticate me, saying:

"Choose a different authentication method to PLAIN. is not supported.".

I am using a real unix user on the server, with .dovecot.sieve in a real
home directory and PAM authentication (passdb: driver PAM and userdb:
driver passwd), but this doesn't seem to be supported? Is there a way
to get this to work or am I out of luck? Also see dovecot -n at the end
of this message.

Thanks in advance!

Andreas

dovecot -n:

protocols: imap imaps managesieve
listen(default): *
listen(imap): *
listen(managesieve): *:2000
disable_plaintext_auth: no
login_dir(default): /usr/local/var/run/dovecot/login
login_dir(imap): /usr/local/var/run/dovecot/login
login_dir(managesieve): login
login_executable(default): /usr/local/libexec/dovecot/imap-login
login_executable(imap): /usr/local/libexec/dovecot/imap-login
login_executable(managesieve): /usr/local/libexec/dovecot/managesieve-login
login_process_size: 64
valid_chroot_dirs: ~/.maildir/
verbose_proctitle: yes
first_valid_gid: 0
mail_extra_groups: mail
default_mail_env: maildir:~/.maildir/
mail_location(default): maildir:~/.maildir/
mail_location(imap): maildir:~/.maildir/
mail_location(managesieve):
maildir_copy_with_hardlinks: yes
mail_executable(default): /usr/local/libexec/dovecot/imap
mail_executable(imap): /usr/local/libexec/dovecot/imap
mail_executable(managesieve): /usr/local/libexec/dovecot/managesieve
mail_plugin_dir(default): /usr/local/lib/dovecot/imap
mail_plugin_dir(imap): /usr/local/lib/dovecot/imap
mail_plugin_dir(managesieve): /usr/local/lib/dovecot/managesieve
imap_client_workarounds(default): delay-newmail outlook-idle
netscape-eoh tb-extra-mailbox-sep
imap_client_workarounds(imap): delay-newmail outlook-idle netscape-eoh
tb-extra-mailbox-sep
imap_client_workarounds(managesieve): outlook-idle
auth default:
  verbose: yes
  passdb:
    driver: pam
  userdb:
    driver: passwd

--
Andreas "daff" Ntaflos
Vienna, Austria

GPG Fingerprint: 6234 2E8E 5C81 C6CB E5EC  7E65 397C E2A8 090C A9B4