[Dovecot] lazy_expunge and emails from Inbox, doesn't list INBOX in deleted

Roger Binns rogerb at rogerbinns.com
Sun Jun 10 00:23:03 EEST 2007

I'm using the dovecot available on Ubuntu Feisty (1.0rc17) and am trying
to migrate from courier-imap.  A really important feature for me from
courier is that expunged messages end up in Trash where they are removed
after 7 days.

I can get an approximation of this feature as described in the
documentation:

namespace private {
  prefix = INBOX.
  seperator = .
  inbox = yes
}
namespace private {
  prefix = DELETED.
  seperator = .
  location = maildur:~/Maildir/deleted
}

  lazy_expunge = DELETED. DELETED. DELETED.

This all works fine except for messages that were deleted from the
Inbox.  They do end up in the right place (~/Maildir/deleted/cur) but
that location is not listed as a subscribable folder.

Here you can see that deleted messages from my ciontope folder show up,
but not the inbox.

a LIST "DELETED." *
* LIST (\HasNoChildren) "." "DELETED.ciontope"
a OK List completed.

You can't examine the namespace itself:

a EXAMINE DELETED
a NO Unknown namespace.
a EXAMINE DELETED.
a NO Invalid mailbox name

But the folder does exist:

a EXAMINE DELETED.INBOX
* FLAGS (\Answered \Flagged \Deleted \Seen \Draft)
* OK [PERMANENTFLAGS ()] Read-only mailbox.
* 4 EXISTS
* 0 RECENT
* OK [UIDVALIDITY 1181423860] UIDs valid
* OK [UIDNEXT 5] Predicted next UID
a OK [READ-ONLY] Select completed.

Is there any way to convince dovecot to list DELETED.INBOX so that
clients can see it an subscribe to it?

Roger