[Dovecot] Dovecot LDA and address extensions

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Tue Jun 12 19:48:29 EEST 2007

On Wed, 2007-05-23 at 21:25 -0400, Tom Metro wrote:
> Can the "userdb sql" directive be added to the "protocol lda" section?
> Or perhaps instead create a new "auth lda" section, and move the "userdb
> sql" and "socket listen" directives to that section?

In Dovecot v2.0 there might be some better ways to do this, but for now
the only way to do this is to run two Dovecot instances.

> The second issue is how to best deal with address extensions,

Can't really help there. Use whatever kludge happens to work. :)

> When I used this command in postfix's master.cf:
> /usr/lib/dovecot/deliver -d ${user}@${nexthop} -n -m ${extension}
>
> as recommended in the wiki, the following error gets logged:
>
>    ... status=bounced (command line usage error. Command output: Fatal:
>    Unknown argument: -d Usage: deliver [-c <config file>]
>    [-d <destination user>] [-m <mailbox>]                [-f <envelope
>    sender>] )
>
> which doesn't make a lot of sense. I suspect what it is trying to say is
> that it didn't like something about the argument to the -d switch. Maybe
> that should be ${domain} instead of ${nexthop}.

No, it really says that -d parameter was unknown. The only thing I can
think of is that it contained some extra character, such as -d<LF> or
maybe "-d " or something..

> (What's up with all the whitespace between "[-m <mailbox>]" and "[-f
> <envelope sender>]"?

There's a LF between them. Postfix strips away LFs.

> Also, might be a good idea to have deliver always
> write errors - even startup errors - to the specified logging facility,

Not really possible, because the config file hasn't been read at that
point yet. And reading config file (possibly wrong one, because -c
parameter could have been used) just to log an error is pretty ugly.
Besides if I run deliver manually I expect the error to be written to
stderr instead of to some weird log file.

> given that not all programs that launch it will report what it writes to
> STDERR. I notice most postfix commands - even the ones people interact
> with - log errors.)

I believe all software that runs MDAs will catch the stderr output.

Fixed: http://hg.dovecot.org/dovecot/rev/afc4e8a7354a