[Dovecot] Phantom message using mixed namespaces

Ian R. Justman ianj at ian-justman.com
Tue Jun 12 20:59:36 EEST 2007

Hi, all.

At home, I have a mailbox where mbox is the default (for inbox and some
smaller mailboxes) and all my lists are in a Maildir format.

I'm building a mailstore server at work where I want to use Maildir as
the default mailstore, but I want to keep mbox on the side to aid in
archiving messages.

My configs are as follows for mail location and namespaces:

Home:

mail_location = mbox:~/mail:INBOX=/var/mail/%u

namespace private {
    separator = /
    inbox = yes
    hidden = no
    prefix = "mbox/"
    location = mbox:~/mail:INBOX=/var/mail/%u
}
namespace private {
    separator = /
    prefix = "Maildir/"
    location = maildir:~/Maildir
}

Work:

mail_location = maildir:~/Maildir

namespace private {
    separator = /
    inbox = yes
    prefix = "Maildir/"
    location = maildir:~/Maildir
}
namespace private {
    separator = /
    hidden = no
    prefix = "mbox/"
    location = mbox:~/mail
}

Here's the thing:

My home mailbox server looks the way it should, offering me "mbox" and
"Maildir" names to expand for more mailboxes.

Work on the other hand, by and large, works as well (in fact, I based
its config on the home machine's config with some slight changes).
However, strange things started happening the moment I did a "mkdir
~/mail" while I was at the machine's prompt to make ready for an mbox
repository.  My mail program nearly immediately shows a "phantom
message" in the main inbox.  If I try to select this "phantom message",
the mailer goes into a very tight loop (I've tried this with Seamonkey
and T'bird with the same results.  I get cycles of these in the log:

Jun 12 11:29:14 (censored) dovecot: imap-login: Login: user=<xxxx>,
method=PLAIN,
  rip=x.x.x.x, lip=y.y.y.y
Jun 12 11:29:14 (censored) dovecot: IMAP(xxx): FETCH for mailbox INBOX
UID 3 got
  too little data: 0 vs 512
Jun 12 11:29:14 (censored) dovecot: IMAP(xxxx): Disconnected: Disconnected

I'm running the Dovecot 1.0.0 under FreeBSD 4.11 (work) (I can't run
anything later on this machine, strangely enough; I haven't tried any of
the later releases since updating the BIOS recently, however) and
1.0.rc17 under Ubuntu Feisty (home).

If I need to provide more info, please let me know.  I'd also be
interested to know if it's something dumb I'm doing or if it perhaps may
be a bug.

Thanks!

--Ian.