[Dovecot] auth process(es)

Thomas Hummel hummel at pasteur.fr
Wed Jun 13 15:16:55 EEST 2007

On Wed, Jun 13, 2007 at 02:43:47PM +0300, Timo Sirainen wrote:

Thanks for your answer.

> it creates a new connection to auth-worker socket.

all the workers and the auth process communicate through a single unix
socket, doesn't they ?

> Auth workers are used only with MySQL auth, or if you're using
> blocking=yes with passwd or PAM.

Why ? what is basically the idea behind that ?

> With others everything is done in the main dovecot-auth process.

Ok, so that's my case. So I can safely set auth_worker_max_count to 0,
right ?

> Increasing count allows heavier load, because there are then more
> processes listening for incoming connections in the same socket.

That's what I thought.

> Creating a second auth block is pretty pointless. It creates a new auth
> socket and then login processes connect to both of them and somewhat
> randomly pick either one of them to authenticate against.

But in that case, another dovecot-auth process get created as well,
doesn't if ? So why isn't the load balanced ?

> You could also use login_process_per_connection=no so it would use
> persistent imap-login processes without having to reconnect to
> dovecot-auth all the time. http://wiki.dovecot.org/LoginProcess

Yes, I tried that.

Should I try something with the 'auth_cache_size' parameter as well ?
What would be a reasonable value if its relevant ?

Thanks.

--
Thomas Hummel 	    | Institut Pasteur
<hummel at pasteur.fr> | Pôle informatique - systèmes et réseau