[Dovecot] Dovecot LDA munging INBOX access times?

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Thu Jun 14 06:22:45 EEST 2007

On Wed, 2007-06-13 at 17:52 -0500, Steven F Siirila wrote:
> We are running Dovecot 1.0.0 using mbox format (currently in the midst
> of conversion from UW IMAP).  We discovered today that the Dovecot LDA
> is accessing the user's INBOX at delivery time!

Well, there are two things:

1) It always makes sure that the mbox file ends with "\n". I guess this
isn't all that important, but I'm not really interested in just removing
the code.

2) If index files are fully synced, Dovecot writes X-UID: header. It
also updates nextuid field in X-IMAP: / X-IMAPbase: header of the first
message, which causes Dovecot to read() the file. The nextuid update
isn't really required, but I think some other bug shows up if it isn't
done.

It would be possible to check the atime before any reading is done and
then later after message is saved it could be updated back. Hmm. Well,
attached a patch that seems to work. I'm not sure if I want to add it to
v1.0.1.