[Dovecot] auth process(es)

Kenny Dail kend at amigo.net
Thu Jun 14 21:36:25 EEST 2007

> >   - is it safe to increment the number of auth processes (the 'count'
> >     parameter in the auth block (auth_default { ...} for instance) ?
>
> Should be.
>
> >   - my understanding is that login processes communicate with auth
> >     processes through a unix type socket (named 'default') :
> >
> >     can I create a second auth block in dovecot.conf (for instance
> >     'aut extra {...}') in addition to the existing 'auth default {...}'
> >     one ? would it create an second unix socket and thus allowing a heavier
> >     login processes load ?
> >
> >     what would be the difference between that and, say, changing the
> >     'count' parameter to '2' in the 'auth default' section ?
>
> Increasing count allows heavier load, because there are then more
> processes listening for incoming connections in the same socket.

Actually increasing the count doesn't work. At least not for me on
1.0.0:
Jun 14 12:28:39 mail5 dovecot: Dovecot v1.0.0 starting up
Jun 14 12:28:39 mail5 dovecot: Auth process died too early - shutting down
Jun 14 12:28:39 mail5 dovecot: child 19080 (auth) returned error 89
Jun 14 12:28:39 mail5 dovecot: auth(default): Socket already exists: /var/run/dovecot/auth-client

--
Kenny Dail <kend at amigo.net>