[Dovecot] dovecot under attack

Dani dani at tydnet.org
Sat Jun 16 21:00:42 EEST 2007

A Dissabte 16 Juny 2007 16:10, Jon Slater va escriure:
> Hi,
>
> I’ve posted this before but no one was able to help.  I can’t figure
> out what they are trying to do, and if I should be concerned.

> I am running dovecot version 0.99.14 on Fedora Core 4.  It appears
> that my dovecot server is under attack.  This morning in my system
> e-mail I saw this:

Hi Jon,

just my 5 cents,

eventually you can figure out if they are trying to login directly to
you imap/pop3 ports or maybe through a webmail?

In every case why don't you give a try to a fail2ban program to block
automatically login failures through iptables and of course upgrade
your dovecot's installation?

http://drees76.blogspot.com/2006/08/fail2ban-dovecot-and-brute-force.html

greetings,

dani