[Dovecot] Binary packagers: BSD license issues

Greg Troxel gdt at ir.bbn.com
Sun Jun 17 20:05:19 EEST 2007

  Adding this SHA256 code made me read the BSD license once again. It
  says:

   *    notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer in the
   *    documentation and/or other materials provided with the distribution.

  Then there are a few files from Cyrus as well which contain:

   * 4. Redistributions of any form whatsoever must retain the following
   *    acknowledgment:
   *    "This product includes software developed by Computing Services
   *     at Carnegie Mellon University (http://www.cmu.edu/computing/)."

  And something similar in utc-mktime.c for Berkeley university as well. I
  think I'd really like to get rid of those base64.c and utc-mktime.c
  exceptions.. There's probably also an easier/faster way to implement
  utc_mktime().

  Currently these copyrights or acknowledgments aren't listed anywhere
  else than in the source files. I don't know if binary packagers have
  added those, but somehow I doubt it.

  So I think I should add these to COPYING file somehow. Any suggestions?

I'm not the packager of dovecot for pkgsrc (NetBSD and others), but I do
package other things.  From my viewpoint, 3-clause BSD license is really
no problem provided you have an installable and preferably installed
file.

4-clause BSD is a bit annoying but not that big a deal.  But I don't
think it's compatible with LGPL.  If you're still the only copyright
holder, you can of course make an exception that advertising clause is
ok.

What I would suggest is that you add a file doc/COPYRIGHT that has
whatever is necessary to satisfy all these things.
Then, have make install put it in

$(prefix)/share/doc/dovecot/COPYRIGHT

In pkgsrc right now, there are manual install rules:

post-install:
        ${INSTALL_DATA} ${WRKDIR}/dovecot-example.conf
        ${DESTDIR}${EGDIR}
        ${INSTALL_DATA} ${WRKSRC}/doc/dovecot-* ${DESTDIR}${EGDIR}
        ${INSTALL_SCRIPT} ${WRKDIR}/mkcert.sh ${DESTDIR}${EGDIR}

so adding a INSTALL_DATA for COPYRIGHT won't hurt at all.

I realize the doc dir is not necessarily the same; it would be nice to
have a --with-docdir to set it for the preference of various packaging
systems, but not a big deal.

   Greg