[Dovecot] save failed to INBOX

Erland Nylend erland.nylend at lyse.no
Mon Jun 18 21:50:32 EEST 2007

On 2007-06-18, 18:47, Timo Sirainen wrote:
> So I guess nothing before this?

There is one more log line, which I missed:

Jun 18 19:47:54 smtp2 deliver(user at domain.tld): copy: mailbox_save_finish() failed
Jun 18 19:47:54 smtp2 deliver(user at domain.tld): quota_copy(): super.copy failed
Jun 18 19:47:54 smtp2 deliver(user at domain.tld): mailbox_copy() failed
Jun 18 19:47:54 smtp2 deliver(user at domain.tld): msgid=<20070618174753.A82793500DB at mail.server1>: save failed to INBOX: Unknown error
Jun 18 19:47:54 smtp2 deliver(user at domain.tld): msgid=<dovecot-1182188873-946994-0 at smtp2>: saved mail to INBOX

Another example:

Jun 18 15:09:59 smtp2 deliver(user2 at domain2.tld): copy: mailbox_save_finish() failed
Jun 18 15:09:59 smtp2 deliver(user2 at domain2.tld): quota_copy(): super.copy failed
Jun 18 15:09:59 smtp2 deliver(user2 at domain2.tld): mailbox_copy() failed
Jun 18 15:09:59 smtp2 deliver(user2 at domain2.tld): msgid=<006101c7b116$cd6c9270$83044f0a at foo.bar>: save failed to INBOX: Unknown error
Jun 18 15:09:59 smtp2 deliver(user2 at domain2.tld): msgid=<005f01c7b116$9a05d9a0$83044f0a at foo.bar>: saved mail to INBOX

Sorry about that. I used "grep" when sending you logs .. and grepped
out "saved mail to INBOX".

Then we're back to the original problem. (I thought this was a
problem when two or more messages were sent at the same time)

> There should have been, or otherwise I can't see why it would
> happen, unless you're using some plugin I don't know about, or
> you're not using maildir.

We're using maildir on all accounts, and mysql.

> Your dovecot -n output didn't contain mail_location.

The user_query looks like this:

user_query = SELECT 3000 as uid, 3000 as gid, concat(concat('maildir:', MailDir), ':INDEX=/path/to/indexes/%d/%u') as mail, concat('maildir:storage=', UserQuota) as quota FROM Users WHERE Account = '%u'

> Are you returning it from userdb either? You could try if the
> attached patch changes anything, it's logging only mbox failures..

As you can see above, I've statically set the mailbox type to
maildir .. (I did that to make it create the maildir's
automatically)

I've checked the mysql database for some users, and the maildir
attribute, and the other information there, seems to be correct.

Is it possible that the mysql query fails, so that dovecot doesn't
know maildir, quota, or the other information it gets from
user_query?

--
Erland Nylend