[Dovecot] testing needed: log file concurrency

Adam McDougall mcdouga9 at egr.msu.edu
Wed Jun 20 08:53:01 EEST 2007

On Wed, Jun 20, 2007 at 03:31:21AM +0300, Timo Sirainen wrote:

  On Tue, 2007-06-19 at 20:16 -0400, Adam McDougall wrote:
  > If there is no output, whats the longest you want us to wait
  > while it runs?

  I think if it hasn't printed anything for 15 minutes it's pretty safe to
  assume it's not going to print anything.

Okay.  Some I stopped after half an hour, some I had running until now
(hours later).  I tested on a couple FreeBSD systems with 6.2-stablesomething
or 7-current, no messages at all.  I tested on a 6-way 750mhz Ultrasparc in
solaris 9, running one writer and 6 readers, no messages at all.

  > How much do you care about unique OS/arch/cpu/fs
  > combinations (what factors shouldn't matter)?  I assume you want
  > just one reader and one writer, started in the order listed in
  > the source?

  I don't think filesystem or CPU would matter, but I'm not a kernel coder
  so I'm not sure. I think the main difference is what kernel is being
  used.

  The reader and writer processes probably need to be running in different
  CPUs to get the problem, so you could start 3 readers just to be sure.

I made sure on one system each of 6.2, 7.0, and solaris 9 I ran one reader
for each core.

  > The ones I already have running for a few minutes have printed nothing
  > so far.

  I guess it's possible that FreeBSD handles this the way I originally
  expected Linux to handle it.