[Dovecot] LSUB/SUBSCRIBE under namespaces

bhayden at umn.edu bhayden at umn.edu
Wed Jun 20 22:42:13 EEST 2007

On Jun 18 2007, bhayden at umn.edu wrote:

>Hi folks.
>
>Here's our situation: Migrating from UW-IMAP. Have lots (as in, tens of
>thousands) of clients set up using '~/mail' as the IMAP root, and using
>subscriptions.

The rest of my original message is at the end for context. :) Brief:
Subscriptions in general are given to inconsistent behavior if there is any
difference in client settings from one session to the next. Dovecot writes
subscriptions without the namespace prefix and then prepends the current ns
prefix to every item in the subscription list for LSUB response.

So if the namespace prefix changes session-to-session; or if there are
legacy entries with more "full" paths in the subs file, LSUB returns
duplicates and paths that do not exist. This leads to very confused users
and in some cases data loss when they (reasonably) try to delete a
"duplicate" and find they've deleted the only copy of a folder.

In order to avoid this, I made a (very) simple two-part mod. The first bit
simply writes subscriptions with the ns prefix included:

diff cmd-subscribe.c cmd-subscribe.c.orig :
35c35 < if (mail_storage_set_subscribed(storage, verify_name, subscribe) <
0)
---
>       if (mail_storage_set_subscribed(storage, mailbox, subscribe) < 0)

The second changes LSUB so that it only returns entries from the
subscription list which match the ns prefix, and avoids prepending the ns
prefix to LSUB responses:

diff cmd-list.c cmd-list.c.orig :
138,141c138 < } else if (ctx->lsub && < strncmp(ctx->ns->prefix,
list->name, strlen(ctx->ns->prefix))) { < continue; < } else if
(!ctx->lsub) {
---
>               } else {

Now we err on the side of not showing some previously subscribed folders if
the client config changes, or if there is random junk in the subscriptions
file--rather than trying to show everything and returning duplicate and
non-existent mailbox paths in LSUB.

Hopefully Timo (or anyone else), you could offer some thoughts on whether
this is an acceptable strategy, or if I've overlooked something. Thanks
very much,

-Brian Hayden
Internet Services
University of Minnesota