[Dovecot] Dovecot LDA munging INBOX access times?

Steven F Siirila sfs at tc.umn.edu
Mon Jun 25 22:39:04 EEST 2007

On Sun, Jun 17, 2007 at 01:24:46PM +0300, Timo Sirainen wrote:
> On Fri, 2007-06-15 at 14:07 -0500, Steven F Siirila wrote:
> > > Hmm.  I wonder how much of a timing window is left; this could be a viable
> > > option for us.  However, I would like to consider our future options for
> > > mailbox formats other than mbox (we will eventually migrate I'm sure).
> >
> > For the mbox case (our immediate concern) your patch seems perfect, provided
> > that it is performing the read of the access time and the re-setting of the
> > access time during the time that the INBOX is locked.  Timo, is this the case?
>
> That's right.

Great!  Will you be incorporating this patch into a future release?
(Right now we have incorporated it as a local mod.)

> > What we are considering doing is updating our local "mailattrd" to lock
> > using the same mechanism Dovecot is before reading the access time:
> >
> > 	lock /var/mail/user	(open RDONLY, fcntl SETLKW)
> > 	stat /var/mail/user	(to get last access time)
> > 	unlock /var/mail/user	(close)
> >
> > Unfortunately, it is more overhead.  But it should be 100% accurate.
>
> That should work. Or I guess you saw my other mail already too? That
> doesn't require creating the lock, but should be 100% accurate as well.

Since there is no way to "check" the lock for fcntl locks, I think we're
left with no choice but to use the above code.  Thanks again!

--

Steven F. Siirila			Office: Lind Hall, Room 130B
Internet Services			E-mail: sfs at umn.edu
Office of Information Technology	Voice: (612) 626-0244
University of Minnesota			Fax: (612) 626-7593