[Dovecot] lda and mail_location

Mark Edwards mark at antsclimbtree.com
Thu Jun 28 05:12:47 EEST 2007

On Jun 27, 2007, at 1:30 PM, Timo Sirainen wrote:

> On Wed, 2007-06-20 at 00:18 -0700, Mark Edwards wrote:
>> I have the following set in the main level of my dovecot.conf file:
>>
>> mail_location = maildir:/var/mail/virtual/%u
>>
>> I decided to enable the lda protocol for local delivery from postfix,
>> so I could use sieve plugins.  The lda protocol seems to ignore
>> settings in the rest of the dovecot.conf file, however, such as the
>> above.  Unless lda has a pre-existing maildir mailbox, it can't
>> create one.  How do I give lda defaults to follow, if the above
>> statement doesn't do it?
>
> Sounds like it's using a wrong config file. Try running explicitly
> with
> deliver -c /etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf
>
> Or set mail_debug=yes and check what it writes to logs.

Well, deliver is clearly seeing /etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf because
other settings are obviously influencing it, and if it can't read
that file it errors out.  But, just for good measure I followed your
suggestions.

Unless I specifically have /var/mail/virtual returned as home in the
ldap lookup, deliver can't find the directory.  In other words, it
doesn't seem to respect the above mail_location setting.  In
addition, if I don't have a pre-existing maildir in the target
directory, deliver complains it doesn't know what format to use,
further evidence that it is ignoring mail_location.

Is deliver really supposed to be reading that setting?  It seems to
ignore it in my case, even though the setting is correctly read by
dovecot for purposes of reading and manipulating the mailboxes.

Here's a sample log:

Jun 27 18:56:52 mini deliver(mark at antsclimbtree.com): Loading modules
from directory: /usr/lib/dovecot/modules/lda
Jun 27 18:56:52 mini deliver(mark at antsclimbtree.com): Module loaded: /
usr/lib/dovecot/modules/lda/lib90_cmusieve_plugin.so
Jun 27 18:56:52 mini deliver(mark at antsclimbtree.com): auth input:
mark at antsclimbtree.com
Jun 27 18:56:52 mini deliver(mark at antsclimbtree.com): auth input:
mail=mark
Jun 27 18:56:52 mini deliver(mark at antsclimbtree.com): auth input: uid=8
Jun 27 18:56:52 mini deliver(mark at antsclimbtree.com): auth input: gid=8
Jun 27 18:56:52 mini deliver(mark at antsclimbtree.com): maildir
autodetect: stat(mark/cur) failed: No such file or directory
Jun 27 18:56:52 mini deliver(mark at antsclimbtree.com): mbox
autodetect: data=mark
Jun 27 18:56:52 mini deliver(mark at antsclimbtree.com): mbox
autodetect: INBOX file: stat(mark) failed: No such file or directory
Jun 27 18:56:52 mini deliver(mark at antsclimbtree.com): mbox
autodetect: has .imap/: stat(mark/.imap) failed: No such file or
directory
Jun 27 18:56:52 mini deliver(mark at antsclimbtree.com): mbox
autodetect: has inbox: stat(mark/inbox) failed: No such file or
directory
Jun 27 18:56:52 mini deliver(mark at antsclimbtree.com): mbox
autodetect: has mbox: stat(mark/mbox) failed: No such file or directory
Jun 27 18:56:52 mini deliver(mark at antsclimbtree.com): dbox
autodetect: stat(mark/inbox/dbox-Mails) failed: No such file or
directory
Jun 27 18:56:52 mini deliver(mark at antsclimbtree.com): Ambiguous mail
location setting, don't know what to do with it: mark (try prefixing
it with mbox: or maildir:)
Jun 27 18:56:52 mini deliver(mark at antsclimbtree.com): Failed to
create storage for 'mark at antsclimbtree.com' with mail 'mark'

--