[Dovecot] FreeBSD NFS file locking mechanism

Geoffroy Desvernay dgeo at ec-marseille.fr
Thu Jun 28 16:18:30 EEST 2007

Tony Tsang a écrit :
> Hi all,
>
> I have some machines running FreeBSD and dovecot deployed. User's home
> dir is on NFS mount and I've found that dovecot only works with
> dotlock file locking mechanism, fcntl and flock failed. Now it causes
> problem with thunderbird (thunderbird is cachine connections) waiting
> forever and I noticed that dovecot is trying to acquire a lock but
> unsuccessful since the lock file is in place. Is it possible to use
> file locking other than dotlock on FreeBSD NFS mounted homedir? How do
> I achieve this?
>
> Thanks a lot.
>
> Tony Tsang.
We have the same setup, working with
lock_method: flock

We have rpc.lockd running (rpc_lockd_enable="YES" in rc.conf) in both
nfs servers and clients(dovecot server).

FreeBSD 6.2

        /     Geoffroy DESVERNAY       |                            \
       /\        `Service info`        | Tel: (+33|0)4 91 05 45 24  /\
       \/ Ecole Centrale de Marseille  | Fax: (+33|0)4 91 05 45 98  \/
        \                              | Mail: dgeo at ec-marseille.fr /