[Dovecot] deliver without lookup

Bruno Puga brpuga at gmail.com
Thu Jun 28 17:11:33 EEST 2007

Hello friends!

Is it possible to make deliver delivery a message without making  a lookup
using virtual users?

I've read the section "Without a Lookup" (http://wiki.dovecot.org/LDA) in
the wiki but I can´t do the same thing in my config and I can´t figure this
out. From the forum I found this thread (
http://www.mail-archive.com/dovecot@dovecot.org/msg02956.html) but didn't
understand why it didn't work in my config.

I've tried:

HOME=/path/to/user/homedir deliver -f test at test.com     and I receive the
message:  Fatal: destination user parameter (-d user) not given

I'm asking this because I need to migrate a system from maildrop to dovecot
that has a script made by the system admin before me that makes something
like follow.

When someone send a message to all at domain.com, postfix call a transport that
calls a script like this:

################################
cat > /tmp/message.txt

cd /home/vmail/domain.com/

for i in *; do
        cat /tmp/message.txt | maildrop -d vmail $i domain.com
done
################################

Where $i is all my users that have an domain account. This script delivery
the message direct to the user's maildir, without making a lookup. I know to
do this with Dovecot deliver making a lookup, but I'd like to do this
without. Again, is it possible with deliver ? Or any ideas to workaround
this?

version 1.0.0
dovecot -n

# /etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf
base_dir: /var/run/dovecot/
log_path: /var/log/dovecot-imapd.log
log_timestamp: %Y-%m-%d %H:%M:%S
protocols: imap
disable_plaintext_auth: no
login_dir: /var/run/dovecot//login
login_executable: /usr/lib/dovecot/imap-login
mail_location: maildir:/home/vmail/%d/%n/
mail_debug: yes
mail_plugins: quota imap_quota acl
imap_client_workarounds: outlook-idle delay-newmail
namespace:
  type: private
  separator: .
  prefix: INBOX.