[Dovecot] lda and mail_location

Mark Edwards mark at antsclimbtree.com
Thu Jun 28 18:17:07 EEST 2007

On Jun 28, 2007, at 6:14 AM, Timo Sirainen wrote:

> On 28.6.2007, at 5.12, Mark Edwards wrote:
>
>> Unless I specifically have /var/mail/virtual returned as home in
>> the ldap lookup, deliver can't find the directory.  In other
>> words, it doesn't seem to respect the above mail_location
>> setting.  In addition, if I don't have a pre-existing maildir in
>> the target directory, deliver complains it doesn't know what
>> format to use, further evidence that it is ignoring mail_location.
>
> userdb can override mail_location:
>
>> Jun 27 18:56:52 mini deliver(mark at antsclimbtree.com): auth input:
>> mail=mark
>
> You're overriding it with "mark".

I see.  Well, my aim is to avoid having to prefix my mailbox entries
in my LDAP database with "maildir:", and to avoid having to deal with
the home attribute in LDAP at all if possible.  I want to set those
things globally.

My dovecot-ldap.conf contains:
user_attrs = homeDirectory=home,mailbox=mail

I'm setting mailbox=mail because otherwise dovecot uses postfix's
destination, which is the entire destination email address.  Are my
only choices to either use postfix's supplied destination, or to
override that and explicitly set the home directory and mailbox type
in the LDAP database?

Thanks.

--
Mark Edwards