[Dovecot] lda and mail_location

Mark Edwards mark at antsclimbtree.com
Thu Jun 28 22:52:06 EEST 2007

On Jun 28, 2007, at 12:38 PM, Timo Sirainen wrote:

> Home directory is used wherever you have ~/ or %h. Or in your case
> because you tried to use a relative mail_location path and Dovecot
> chdired to home dir.
>
>> So, is it correct
>> that mail_location is the rule, unless mail is set in user_attrs, in
>> which case mail_location is overridden with the attributes from
>> user_attrs?  Is that how it works?
>
> Right. And you can override pretty much any other setting from
> userdb as
> well.
>
> Hmm. Perhaps userdb should be returning mail_location also instead of
> mail to make this more understandable.

That's not a bad idea.  The best thing though would be better
documentation of exactly how this all interacts, or perhaps I'm just
not finding it.  I've been through the wiki.

One thing that still puzzles me is why userdb has to be set at all.
In my case its totally unnecessary as far as I can tell, yet I get
errors if I don't set it or set it to nothing.  I have it set to
return the home attribute right now, but that isn't used.

Anyway, otherwise it all makes perfect sense to me now.  Thank you
for your patience and time!

--
Mark Edwards