[Dovecot] Copyright notices in code

Peter Hessler phessler at theapt.org
Fri Jun 29 19:32:53 EEST 2007

On 2007 Jun 29 (Fri) at 17:30:34 +0200 (+0200), DINH Vi?t Ho? wrote:
> anyway, if someone use the file somewhere else, the copyright can be
> edited
> :)
> Personally, I think that a up-to-date file named 'COPYRIGHT' or
> something like that should be sufficient. (though, I care only about
> nice code and good architecture and don't care about boring licence
> stuff...).

License stuff may be boring, but its important.  Just ask the GPL3
people.  Or Tivo.  Or Microsoft.  Or SCO.  (the list goes on and on)

The OpenBSD project (which I don't talk for) has a policy of every file
has copyright (and license) explicitly in the top of the file.  This way
it isn't ambigious.

I can understand this being boring, but accurate copyright and
licensing can and will protect your code.  Even if you want to make it
as free as possible, you still need to declare it.

--
A diplomat is a man who can convince his wife she'd look stout in a fur
coat.