[Dovecot] Monitoring Recomendations

Troy Engel tengel at fluid.com
Fri Jun 29 21:22:56 EEST 2007

Dehnert James Sr wrote:

> The performance issues are a) slow response on the lan, and b) unusable
> low response from remote users.  This is always with IMAP, of we switch

As a possible aide, have your user(s) run TCPView
(http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysinternals/Networking/TcpView.mspx)
in a corner of their screen before starting Outlook, then when Outlook
is launched to watch the view for "red bars" (which indicate a client
attempt to do something and getting blocked/denied).

I had a problem with setting up Outlook + Exchange + self-signed SSL +
Remote awhile back; using TCPView helped show me that even though I was
telling Outlook to use SSL/HTTP for the connection, the initial Outlook
setup was still trying to use NetBIOS calls for the server, which showed
up in TCPView very clearly.

Perhaps the util will help you identify something Outlook is doing that
it's not supposed to, as was my case.

hth,
-te

--