[Dovecot] mbox vs maildir

Rick Romero rick at havokmon.com
Fri Jun 29 21:47:35 EEST 2007

On Fri, 2007-06-29 at 20:34 +0200, Ralf Hildebrandt wrote:
> * Jesse C. Smillie <jsmillie at gatewayk12.org>:
>
> > The only thing I'm not sure of is what the best file system to keep this
> > on.  I have been keeping my home directories on ReiserFS for quite a
> > while, but one of our tech thinks XFS would be good.
>
> XFS is lousy for many small files. We tried XFS for our 9000 Users
> (Maildir) and swithced back to ext3.
>
> > All data I have right now tells me to stay ReiserFS though.  Even
> > Dovecot's own page says XFS may not be a wise choice.
>
> My experience tells me to stay away from ReiserFS as well.

How about NSS?   I was considering using Netware's NSS for my backend
server - either from Netware or Linux OES, but I'm not sure how OES
actually handles the filesystem.. Anyways, in addition to journaling,
you get deleted file salvage, open file backup/snapshot, and easily
expandable volumes...    I know you can do the last with LVM on Linux,
and I recall something similar on FreeBSD - but I have no experience
with either, and they're both missing salvage and snapshot.

Ok ok, so I really just love salvage.  ;)