[Dovecot] Mailbox location suggestion (was Re: mbox vs maildir)

John Gateley dovecot at jfoo.net
Fri Jun 29 22:41:50 EEST 2007

A suggestion: along with mail_location, create a mail_directories
variable that contains the search order, so that it can be specified.
It would default to something like
mail_directories = maildir:~/Maildir|mbox:~/mail:INBOX=/var/mail/%u|...

I could use this. On one system I manage, I've converted a couple
of us to Maildirs, but the rest of the users are still on mbox
in a non-standard place: mbox:~/Mail:INBOX=~/mbox
I don't want to do anything special, because eventually all
the users will be switched to Maildirs, but in the meantime
it would be nice to be able to use Dovecot for all of them
without doing a "ln -s ~user/mbox ~user/Mail/inbox" for each
of them.