[Dovecot] mbox vs maildir

Fri Jun 29 23:37:06 EEST 2007

> Just remember that if you lose the index files there's no easy way to
> recover the mailbox. Well, except by copying the files to maildir..
>
> I'm not sure if I should try to make cydir anything else than a
> benchmark format or a simple example for writing mail storage backends.
> I'm hoping that dbox will be practically as fast in all situations.

One advantage of cydir over dbox was mentioned by Mark above re
incremental backups - with dbox, you'd still have to backup the entire
mailbox file, while with cydir, you'd only have to copy newer messages.

I think making cydir a real, viable replacement for standard maildir
would be a good thing...

:)

--

Best regards,