[Dovecot] Thunderbird : open() failed with index file /home/XYZ/mail/.imap/Trash/dovecot.index: Not a directory

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Thu Mar 1 12:19:11 EET 2007

On Thu, 2007-03-01 at 13:13 +0100, Charles Bueche wrote:

> stupid me, I didn't even look at the filesystem. "Trash" is a file,
> so dovecot can't create Trash/dovecot.index
>
> I checked my own folder structure, and "Trash" is a file as well.

But it's a file inside .imap/ directory? What does it contain? It
shouldn't exist there. Hmm. Although it looks like it's possible to
create it by creating eg. ".imap/Trash" mailbox. I'll make it give an
error if that's tried to be done..

> There is something I don't understand here. Who tries to create this
> dovecot.index file ? Given the name, it must be dovecot, right ?

Right.

> So
> why don't we have the issue with Apple Mail ? Does dovecot act
> differently depending on the client ?

Have you set ".imap" as the IMAP namespace prefix in other clients (or
in Apple Mail)? Or do you have different mail location paths given for
different users?