[Dovecot] 1.0rc25: double INBOX folder (weird)

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Fri Mar 2 22:24:47 EET 2007

On 2.3.2007, at 2.19, Troy Engel wrote:

> If you have the default namespace "INBOX." (Courier emulation mode
> from the Wiki) and an actual folder in your ~/Maildir/ with INBOX
> in the name (~/Maildir/.INBOX.Miami), then Dovecot presents them
> both to the client as the real Inbox in Thunderbird:
..

> Account
>   Inbox (3)
>     Drafts
>     Sent
>     INBOX (3)
>
> ...where (3) is me representing a new email account; if you click
> on either INBOX folder (parent or child) they show the same
> contents of the single Inbox. It was really confusing until I
> figured out the Maildir was messed up on the backend.

Hmm. To me this sounds like a bug in Thunderbird. It should have
shown Miami under the INBOX.

> Sometime back in 2004 the Courier-IMAP server let one of my
> (dovecot) testers create a folder called .INBOX.Miami; until the
> 1.0rc25 upgrade we never even knew it was there - it has been
> invisible this whole time. I can only assume that a bug in Courier
> allowed that folder to be created in the first place, I'm not
> bothering to track it down.

I don't think it's a bug really, because creating such mailbox is
perfectly valid.

> Once I upgraded to 1.0rc25 this morning all the sudden there it was
> -- obviously not Dovecot's fault for putting it there and it was
> easy enough to fix by hand, but I thought I'd report it in case it
> exposed some logic gap in the code. If nothing else Dovecot
> shouldn't have duplicated the INBOX view to the client, and instead
> just showed it as a regular folder - yes?

Pre-rc25 was buggy in handling that INBOX.INBOX.box case, but as far
as I know now it works as IMAP protocol requires it to work:

x list "" INBOX.IN%
* LIST (\Noselect \HasChildren) "." "INBOX.INBOX"
x OK List completed.

x list "" INBOX.IN*
* LIST (\HasNoChildren) "." "INBOX.INBOX.foo"
x OK List completed.