[Dovecot] messages lingering in .Trash/new instead of .Trash/cur

Glenn Leavell glenn at usg.edu
Sun Mar 4 23:11:45 EET 2007

We're running Dovecot rc15 on Solaris 9, providing IMAP access to e-mail
stored in Maildir++.   I've noticed that a significant number of message
files are currently sitting in the directories ~/Maildir/.Trash/new/.   I
would have expected that all messages in .Trash would be in the /cur
subdirectory (as most are), and I'm not sure how they're landing in /new.
If I connect to Dovecot and run something like the following, the messages
all *do* immediately end up in .Trash/cur/ :

 x select blah
 * FLAGS (\Answered \Flagged \Deleted \Seen \Draft)
 * OK [PERMANENTFLAGS (\Answered \Flagged \Deleted \Seen \Draft \*)] Flags
 * permitted.
 * 4 EXISTS
 * 0 RECENT
 * OK [UIDVALIDITY 1150071896] UIDs valid
 * OK [UIDNEXT 5] Predicted next UID
 x OK [READ-WRITE] Select completed.
 x copy 4 "Trash"
 x OK Copy completed.

Most of our users are using Thunderbird, and after looking at various
outputs of rawlog, TB seems to be simply issuing uid copy commands to
"Trash" like the ones above when a user deletes a message.

Do any of you know what IMAP interaction with Dovecot can lead to message
files appearing in .Trash/new/ ?

Thanks very much,
Glenn

--
Glenn Leavell <glenn at usg.edu>
Office of Information and Instructional Technology