[Dovecot] 1.0.rc26 released

Bill Cole dovecot-20061108 at billmail.scconsult.com
Wed Mar 7 08:13:07 EET 2007

At 12:52 AM -0500 3/7/07, Jim Horner wrote:
>>  	* If time moves backwards only max. 5 seconds, sleep until we're back
>>  	  in the original present instead of killing ourself. An error is
>>  	  still logged.
>
>This might be a stupid question but this weekend we are about to push our
>clocks ahead one hour. In the fall when the clocks get set back an hour what
>does that do to Dovecot?
>
>Our servers are using NTP and I'm not entirely sure how that adjusts the
>clock. I'm laughing at myself because whatever it does it's worked for us for
>years. I know I just jinxed myself.

The timezone changes only affect the display of time in a particular
zone or calculation of absolute time from a zoned form. No
sanely-written daemon works with zoned time values except for
presentation to humans, i.e. logging. Switching the system time zone
(i.e. the offset from GMT to use for presentation of time) does not
change the system time. There is no clock adjustment at a DST change.
--
Bill Cole
bill at scconsult.com