[Dovecot] Newbie questions: Load-balanced Dovecot with NFS storage

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Wed Mar 7 15:08:49 EET 2007

On Wed, 2007-03-07 at 12:15 +0000, Mike Brudenell wrote:
>       But is the same true for control files?  Or do they need to be
>       preserved and made available to any server the user may come in
>       through?

Control files are important. If you delete them the messages will get
new UIDs which causes client to download them again. That's especially
bad with POP3 if client is configured to leave the messages to server.

> Experimentation suggests that the instance of Dovecot wanting to
> create the directories is running under the user's uid/gid (me, in
> this case).  Hence I now believe:
>
> 1.  I need to manually pre-create the next level down directories
>          /var/dovecot/{control,index}/[a-z]
>
> 2.  Set these to be owned root:root with mode rwxrwxrwt

Yea. I guess some day in future Dovecot could support creating the home
dir while still running as root.