[Dovecot] dovecot sasl auth (pam) + postfix doesn't work...

marco ghidinelli marcogh at linux.it
Thu Mar 8 19:29:08 EET 2007

hello,

i tried to use the "dovecot sasl" with postfix using pam as backend
(actually pam_krb5) but it doesn't work.

dovecot runs well as pop3 server authenticating with the pam_krb5
module with the config below, but it doesn't even connect with the
kerberos server (a remote AD 2003) when it's called from postfix.

--------dovecot.conf---------
protocols = pop3 pop3s imap imaps
disable_plaintext_auth = no
log_timestamp = "%Y-%m-%d %H:%M:%S "
mail_location = maildir:/var/mail/vhosts/turboden.net/%Ln/
mail_extra_groups = mail
protocol imap {
}

protocol pop3 {
  pop3_uidl_format = %08Xu%08Xv
}
auth_default_realm = MYCORP.LOCAL
auth_verbose = yes
auth_debug = yes
auth default {
  mechanisms = plain login
  passdb pam {
    args = dovecot
  }
  userdb static {
    args = uid=5000 gid=5000
  }
  user = root
 socket listen {
        client {
                path = /var/spool/postfix/private/auth
                mode = 0660
                user = postfix
                group = postfix
        }
 }
}
 dict {
 }
 plugin {
 }
--------------------------------

-----/etc/pam.d/dovecot------
auth    required pam_krb5.so no_ccache ignore_root  debug
account required pam_permit.so
-----------------------------

from syslog i only get:
Mar  8 10:52:38 muletto dovecot: auth(default): client in: AUTH^I1^Iplain^Iservice=smtp^Iresp=<hidden>
Mar  8 10:52:38 muletto dovecot: auth(default): passdb(username at MYCORP.LOCAL,master): Attempted master login with no master passdbs
Mar  8 10:52:39 muletto dovecot: auth(default): client out: FAIL^I1^Iuser=username at MYCORP.LOCAL

note that it doesn't care about the content of the /etc/pam.d/dovecot
when dovecot is called by postfix.

does the dovecot-sasl authentication works with the pam backend?
maybe i should rename (or copy) the /etc/pam.d/dovecot to another name?

let me know.

bye.